What makes Stevenage great?
Stevenage Packaging are extremely proud of our hometown which has served us well for all of our 30 years since 1989.
Some interesting facts about Stevenage
- Stevenage was the first new town to be designated under the New Towns Act of 1946.
- Stevenage was the first town in the UK with dedicated cycleways.
- It is only 19 minutes from London by train to Kings Cross non-stop.
- The home of Vincent Motorcycles who built the first superbike which was the fastest bike in the world from 1948 - 1955
- Home to The Thomas Alleyne Academy which can trace its roots back to 1558.
- The MARS rover was built at Airbus in Stevenage.
- The home of British Aerospace.
World class people in Stevenage
Some of those who have been born, brought up or lived in Stevenage.
- John Cooper Clarke - Punk poet
- Ken Follett - Global best selling author
- E. M. Forster - English fiction author, nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 20 separate years
- Lewis Hamilton - Seven times Formula One world champion
- Kevin Phillips - England & Premier League footballer & Golden Boot winner
- Graham Poll - World Cup & Premier League football referee
- King Miguel of Portugal
- Ian Poulter - Golfer & Ryder Cup winner
- Phil Vincent - British motorcycle pioneer
- Jack Wilshere - England & Arsenal footballer
- Ashley Young - England & Manchester United footballer
Stevenage on the big screen
Stevenage has been used as the setting for a number of films and TV programmes including:
- Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush
- Boston Kickout
- Spy Game
- Serious Charge